Turning pennies into dollars
Booster Hero

UK pension transfers

If you've emigrated from the UK to New Zealand, you may be thinking about bringing over your UK pension too.

Why transfer your pension?

Many people prefer to have their money invested and managed in the country where they live.

Unlike the UK, there is currently no inheritance tax in New Zealand.

Your money will be managed locally, giving you access to global managers but with a local presence.

You will be able to talk to a local representative if you ever need assistance or have questions.

Transferring your UK pension

UK pension transfers are complex. We recommend that you seek financial advice and tax advice from a professional who is experienced in UK pension transfers to decide if transferring your UK pension is right for you.

At Booster we work with financial advisers across New Zealand who have years of experience assisting with UK pension transfers.

Assets and liabilities outside New Zealand

If you hold assets outside New Zealand, such as property or income, it's important to check your tax arrangements to make sure you're paying the right tax in the right country. You also need to do this if you have legal or financial responsibilities – liabilities – outside the country.

Whether you're a tax resident in New Zealand may affect what you might decide to do about any assets or liabilities outside this country.

Whether you're returning or immigrating to New Zealand, you may qualify for a transitional tax residency to ease your move.

Find out more from the Inland Revenue about tax residency and how to handle assets and liabilities abroad.

Booster SuperScheme Product Disclosure Statements

You can find the Booster SuperScheme Product Disclosure Statements here.

Booster SuperScheme is a Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme (ROPS) which can accept UK pension transfers.


If you have any queries or want to know more:

  • call us on 0800 336 338
  • talk to your financial adviser.

If you don't have a financial adviser, contact us and we'll put you in touch with one in your area.